ARENASBEACHESCONSERVATION AREASCOMMUNITY CENTRESLEAGUES AND CLUBSMARINASMUSEUMSPARKS AND TRAILSPROGRAMS
HEADLINES AND EVENTS
Public Consultation for Aquatic Centre - Open House
June 24, 2013
June 24, 2013
Parks & Rec - onservation AreasThe following Conservation Areas are managed by the Essex Region Conservation Authority. Visit their website at: www.erca.org
MAIDSTONE CONSERVATION AREA
Directions: Take County Road 25 (Puce Road) south just past County Road 46.
This 20 hectare site is perfect for an afternoon trip to the country. The area includes a winding trail through an oak-hickory woodland. Part of the trail passes along the upper meandering reaches of the Puce River.
TREMBLAY BEACH CONSERVATION AREA
Directions: Take County Road 35 (in the northeast corner of the county) north through Stoney Point. Turn east at the shoreline road and follow it to Tremblay Beach.
Tremblay Beach Conservation Area is one of the only two marshes remaining on Essex County’s Lake St. Clair Shoreline (along with Ruscom Shores Conservation Area). The sandy beach, 1/2 km shoreline and extensive marsh make it ideal for spring birding, or just a quiet walk by the water.
RUSCOM SHORES CONSERVATION AREA
Directions: Follow County Road 2 at the northeast end of the county to Surf Club Drive, east of the town of Deerbrook. Take Surf Club north to the parking lot.
Ruscom Shores represents one of only two marshes still in existence on the North Shoreline.This site features a nearly one kilometer walking trail, viewing tower and boardwalk meandering through tall grass prairie and wetland habitats.
The following three Conservation Areas are managed by the Lower Thames Conservation Authority. Visit their site at: www.lowerthames-conservation.on.ca
BIG "O" CONSERVATION AREA
Directions: From Comber, turn left (east) on County Road 46, turn right on Windsor, turn right on Elizabeth, entrance is on south side of road. Open year round 8 a.m. – 10:30 p.m., free of charge. (Big O is right in Comber)
The Big “O” Conservation Area is one of southwestern Ontario’s birding ‘hot spots’. In early May, many species of migratory birds arrive at this conservation area after crossing Lake Erie.
LIGHTHOUSE CONSERVATION AREA
100 Thames Street, Chatham, Ontario, Canada N7L 2Y8
Phone: (519) 354-7310 Fax: (519) 352-3435
Directions: From Chatham, follow Riverview Drive to Tecumseh Drive, north into Lighthouse Cove
Lighthouse Conservation Area is a 1 hectare park located at the mouth of the Thames River at Lake St. Clair. The lighthouse is 200 years old and is one of the three oldest on the Great Lakes. A pioneer family named Cartier settled at the mouth of the Thames River in the early 1800’s and built the first lighthouse. The original frame structure was destroyed by fire during the War of 1812. In 1818, the present structure was built and extended in height to its present level after Confederation. The original Cartier family looked after the lighthouse for about 130 years until William "Dick" Cartier died in 1950. The Lower Thames Valley Conservation Authority obtained the lighthouse in 1973 and has since moved the structure and rebuilt it stone by stone.
ROWSOM TILBURY WEST CONSERVATION AREA
Directions: East on County Road 46 to County Road 47, turn right (south) to 7th road, turn left, conservation area is located at the end of the road on the left side
This 63 acre park has picnic shelters, group campground facilities, fishing and hiking along the trails, and also is designated as one of the Memorial Forest sites.